miércoles, febrero 20

From January 26th

This past week with the brigade was a whole new experience being that El Cajón (not Alfredo´s House) was our home base. I was a little apprehensive because of the “horror” stories from years past, e.g. bed bugs. But, short of some ants (which did end up visiting me on Thursday night), things were quite tranquil at the ranch.

I would have to say that this team seemed to have a purpose that I haven´t felt yet before. By “purpose” I don´t mean the objective for coming (for that is obviously an inherent and shared trait among teams). Perhaps what I am trying to say is that I felt God´s Providence with this team. The people who were on it, the stories they had to share, the lives that they have lived, all seemed to fit together as if this particular group of people was meant to come together in Honduras. We had three parents who had lost one of their children. We had nurses who were newbies under the gentle guidance and encouragement of the regulars. We had a mother-daughter pair. The list goes on. There is a certain reassurance and comfort when something like seems to “fall together,”and so unexpectedly.

This week also brought some emotionally and psychologically difficult situations to translate. Perhaps one of the most difficult fell on Friday. We had a 17 year-old who had two children, an 8 year-old and a 10 month-old. How can it be that a 9 year-old bears a child? And, how can I deal with that reality without judging those people whom I am trying to serve? These are questions the answers to which I do not have.

Tuesday was a group trip to San Pedro Sula to donate blood. Only a few of us ended up being eligible to let our blood, but the trip was not for naught. It was a day of bonding among workmates, something for which there has not been much free time as of late.

Yesterday the Cardiac Surgical Team started up. Yesterday also happened to be Ash Wednesday, a holy day that has always held special weight for me. This year, I think it meant so much more because I was unable to receive the imposition of the ashes (I was in China). This year, Dra. Moncada and I attended the Catholic mass in town. It was a reminder of how fragile life is, how transient (something that one would think I would have been constantly reminded of seeing as I am surrounded by critically ill people): from dust you have come, to dust you shall return.

I look forward to the upcoming days, to spending this Lenten season consciously. To spend it here in Honduras. I look forward to seeing renewed life in these cardiac patients, especially in Eduardo. His joy over the simple things (a car magazine, a treat of “A Cup of Noodles,” a tickle as I pass by) has become a special reminder of God´s love and Providence…we have all been blessed by this little boy´s presence.

0 Comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Comentarios de la entrada [Atom]

<< Página Principal