viernes, marzo 21

News from the Metrotel

My dad and I just barely made it to the Metrotel yesterday (formerly known as the Microtel for all of you who have visited the place).

We had actually planned ahead and solicited information about the bus schedules before escaping to Finca El Cisne for the "ecotourism" section of our vacation. Unfortunately for us, the informant, while appearing to be a well-informed tour guide, was in fact not. The result: the sheer bliss of ignorance...a calming day of horse riding, creek stomping, and hot springs relaxing followed by post-paradise panic as we faced the reality that we may be stuck in Copan Ruins until Saturday morning (meaning that my dad would miss his flight back to the U.S.).

I maintained calm for the both of us and began walking around to see what could be done to remedy the situation. All bus stations were closed, but I did run into another American, Meghan (very interesting girl from CA who is a river guide in La Ceiba), who found herself in a similiar situation. From a couple of drivers trying to rip us off (1,200 lempira ride to La Entrada, just one hour from Copan Ruinas), we discovered that we would have a good chance of arriving in San Pedro Sula if we could just manage to get to La Entrada. Had I been alone, I might have just tried to hitch it, but knowing Dad's back wouldn't stand that torture, we looked for a driver who would NOT charge such an exorbitant price. Success we had and even got a lift back to the hostel to collect our luggage. Then, a first-rate ride to La Entrada where our bus driver actually sped up, honked the horn, and flagged down the bus that was already in route to San Pedro. 15 minutes later, we ended up in a similar situation of rapid switching-of-buses. We all three arrived safely in SPS around 3:30 pm. My bladder was quite glad to have finally reached the terminal. From there we jumped a taxi to the Metrotel and that was that!

Anyways, I've stayed here every month since my arrival in September, so there isn't much in the way of surprises for me. But, yesterday I found several. First off, the sign and name have changed. So far this name change has brought only two tangible changes. 1) The satellite television now has like 120 channels, including a channel from Korea (Arirang), Germany, France, and other unidentifiable places. I watched a little snippet about Korea this afternoon. What a beautiful country!! Gets a person thinking.... and 2.) The library in the breakfast area has about a dozen new books in English. One of those books is The Hours which I started last night while walking on the treadmill. It is fantastic so far. Still a little fuzzy on the characters, as there are many and it is one of those books where the narrator changes from chapter to chapter. But, I am entranced by the prose.

Other travel news and pictures from the previous three weeks to follow once I return to Pena Blanca tomorrow evening.

0 Comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Comentarios de la entrada [Atom]

<< Página Principal